Edmonton Chinese Baptist Church
Children Pastor Job Description
Edmonton Chinese Baptist Church (ECBC) is currently seeking a permanent, full-time pastor to serve its growing Children Ministry.
The Children Pastor is responsible for the development and promotion of a comprehensive program of Christian education for children from birth through the sixth grade, in agreement with the mission and philosophy of Edmonton Chinese Baptist Church.
The Children Pastor reports to the Senior Pastor or his designate approved by Church Council and coordinates with all the church staff in planning, scheduling, and directing the children/ preschool program and ministries of the church.
- Coordinate the preschool and children's educational program in Sunday School/Bible Study, Discipleship Training, Mission Education, and Vacation Bible School.
- Enlist, train and develop leadership in the preschool and children's area.
- Lead the workers in Children Ministry in a systematic program of visitation.
- Plan and implement outreach programs to parents and children such as retreats, camps, social activities, summer programs, etc.
- Administer special events needing the nursery or childcare.
- Keep up-to-date on the latest materials and methods in preschool and children's work.
- Assure provision of a biblically sound curriculum and teaching resource materials for teaching children from birth through sixth grade. Knowledgeable in Southern Baptist/ Lifeway curriculum.
- Create environments, activities and programming for each age group that will facilitate learning and encourage spiritual growth.
- Provide support and equip parents to be the primary faith leaders within their homes through resources and classes with the goal for children and families to experience God together.
- Offer biblical training and counseling for parents.
- Awareness of safety standards, provide a safe and clean environment conducive to learning for preschoolers and children.
- Assist the Deacon representing the Children Ministry in preparing and administering the Children Ministry budget.
- Serve as staff advisor for church committees as assigned by the pastor.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
The position of Children Pastor:
- Requires a seminary degree or equivalent.
- Requires commitment to biblical Christian principles and teachings both professionally and personally.
- Requires the ability to listen effectively and to communicate clearly, both orally and in written form.
- Knowledge and experience in Southern Baptist/ Lifeway curriculum is an asset.
- Requires an understanding of the needs and learning styles of children and an apparent love for them.
- Requires ability to speak, read and write English. Ability to communicate in Cantonese/ Mandarin is an asset.
- Experience with caring of special need children is an asset.
- Requires passing of Police Information Check.
- Requires or be able to obtain First Aid and CPR certificates.
MORE ABOUT THIS FULL-TIME PERMANENT MINISTRY OPPORTUNITY:
ECBC, a member of the Canadian National Baptist Convention (CNBC), is located on the northern edge of downtown Edmonton. ECBC was incorporated in 1977 as a Cantonese church plant with a full time Cantonese pastor. In the mid-1990s an English Ministry was begun, and we called our first full-time English pastor in 2001. A Mandarin Ministry was begun in 2001, and in 2006 ECBC called a full-time Mandarin pastor to shepherd our growing Mandarin Congregation. We now have four weekly worship services - English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Children. The Children Ministry began in the 1980’s without a full time pastor but was blessed by a volunteer Children pastor who developed a full Children Ministry program in 1990’s until the church has envisioned to call a full time pastor.
Since 1990 we have established a vibrant and active children program that not only has weekly Sunday Worship and Sunday School from birth to Grade 6, but also vacation bible school, adolescent training, parenting counsel and other activities that develop the Christian faith for children from pre-school to Grade 6.
QUALIFICATIONS & JOB DESCRIPTION
We are seeking a loving, God-fearing minister with a passion to work with children. The candidate must be willing to live out a commitment to ECBC’s mission and vision: “To share God's love and help you fulfill Christ's purpose for your life.” He/She must embrace and affirm the Statement of Faith of ECBC and the CNBC. The candidate must have graduated with an accredited Theological Seminary degree or equivalent.
The ideal candidate will be gifted in faith, leadership, wisdom, evangelism, and encouragement. It is an asset if the candidate has experience with discipleship, outreach and relationship-building amongst children and parents. This can be in either a volunteer/part time capacity, or (ideally) as a full-time pastoral staff member. The children pastor will work collaboratively and creatively with established and emerging leaders to envision, plan, promote, lead and grow a dynamic, team-based, outreach-oriented children ministry.
Our children pastor must be a positive, fun-loving person of integrity, flexible and willing to work with parents for any issues that are arising in children ministry programs.
For more information on the Children Pastor Job Description, please contact our Search Committee
SALARY & BENEFITS
This position requires 40 hours per week; We offer compatible salary, commensurate with experience. ECBC has a generous comprehensive benefits package including study and conference allowances; pension, medical and dental benefits; and fully-paid Alberta Health Care. Performance is reviewed annually to provide feedback and opportunities for further ministry growth and development.
For more information, please contact our Search Committee. You are invited to submit a resume and covering letter (by email or regular mail) to:
Mrs. Bernadette Chan
Pastoral Search Committee
Edmonton Chinese Baptist Church
11112 – 109 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Updated May 10, 2014 (v2a)